Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Kitchen Beadboard


Our kitchen remodel started in the spring of 2009.  There have been many projects up to this point.  To start, I want to share the beadboard backsplash project.  

I like mixing different decorating styles but I LOVE cottage style.  There are so many variations on this theme yet they all include a heavy touch of warmth, comfort,and charm.  I knew I wanted to imbue our kitchen space with all these good feelings.  I also enjoy the vintage aesthetics of the cottage kitchen.  What is more quintessentially "cottage" than painted beadboard?  

Before settling on beadboard for our backsplash material I did extensive research.  Would it hold up to the moisture and scrubbing?  Should we install MDF, PVC, or wood?  Finally, would I like looking at that much beadboard in my kitchen on a daily basis?  

We have four growing children ages 9 to 2.  We are a homeschooling family.  Between cooking, mealtimes, science and art projects; our kitchen is the workhorse of the house.  The backsplash and counters get wiped down more than once a day.  I spend so much time in the kitchen that I really need it to be lovely, comfortable, but still very functional. 

If you do a search on 'kitchen beadboard backsplash' you will come up with a slew of photos, blog posts and articles on using it for a backsplash.  Do your research on the pros and cons and be realistic.  Are you going to want to clean between the beads everyday?  It is not difficult but you do need to make a point of wiping in some of the grooves.  It adds an additional minute to the wipe down.  White painted beadboard does not hide anything.  Is this going to be too much maintenance for your household?

Ultimately, we decided on installing pine beadboard from Lowe's.  You can find it here.  Look at the product and consider if you will be happy with it once finished.  Price was a big consideration in our decision.  For about $75 in material (including waste) we were able to install 37 square feet of backsplash.  Our total cost was under $150 for beadboard, paint, sandpaper, wood filler, and adhesive.

Be prepared, there will be waste because of the knotty nature of the pine.  We cut around the knots and only used pieces that could be corrected with wood filler and sanding.  I lightly sanded the boards using a finishing grit of 220, primed and then painted two coats. My husband cut and installed the pieces using Liquid Nails adhesive.  Once installed I applied a third coat of paint.

It has been installed for about 5 months.  Once the cabinet remodel is complete I will be applying 2-3 coats of a semi-gloss poly.  I can happily report it has held up great to all the wipe-downs.  The grooves have not presented a problem.  It is actually easier to clean than tile.  No grout!  Using a quality paint makes all the difference.

I really enjoy the look of my kitchen. The backsplash painted a light cream really brightens the room year-round.  I love the charm it adds to our house.

After we finish the cabinets we still have trim, corbels, and under cabinet lighting to install to complete the look.  I would like to replace the decorative plate with an oval venetian mirror about the same size.  

Right after we moved in April 2009

Autumn 2013

This is a complete husband and wife DIY remodel.  We replaced everything but the stove, dishwasher, and cabinet boxes.  Most of the remodeling has taken place this year.  Our goal is to have the kitchen completed before spring of 2014. 

I look forward to sharing more details about each project with you as I have time.  

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment