I planted Lemongrass this spring. It turned into a garden monster. I'm not sure what I was thinking planting it where I did.
Notice how the Lemon Verbena has to lean so far out to get any sun? It still grew pretty well but it probably would have been less spindly had I planted the Lemongrass in a better spot.
The upside is I had a nice amount of Lemongrass to harvest! So harvest I did! We get pretty decent winters in this part of the country. Sometimes plants will overwinter well if you give them a good leaf mulch cover but I really needed to move this plant.
Lemongrass can be potted and kept inside but I don't have the space to overwinter a plant this size. I dug it out.
First, I cut off the tops and kept some leaves and stalks for later. I washed and bagged them, then stuck them in the freezer for tea. Once I dug the plant out roots and all, I began separating the roots, careful not to damage the bulbs.
You can save some bulbs for planting in the spring by placing them in a paper bag to overwinter in the shed, garage, or wherever you store your bulbs and seeds.
 |
| Part by sections... |
 |
| Cut at roots |
 |
| Carefully cut around individual bulbs |
 |
| Soon you will have this! |
Shake off excess dirt and wash well.
 |
| I rinsed and sorted them in the sink. |
 |
| Then I picked bulbs 1/2 in. thick and larger. |
 |
| I peeled them just like a green onion. |
I peeled off the immediate outer layer, cut off the roots, then peeled again to remove any remaining damaged areas. I was careful to leave as many layers as possible intact to protect the delicate pulp that holds a lot of the flavor. Then I rinsed, patted them dry, and bagged them up for the freezer.
 |
| Rinsed and ready for the freezer! |
My intention is to make some Thai dishes over the winter like
this and perhaps some of
these.
What are your favorite recipes for using
Lemongrass?
No comments:
Post a Comment